Sunday, March 25, 2012

With A Recipe In One Hand and And A Pastery Bag In The Other

Butter cream frosting.  I used to hate the stuff as a kid.  I was more of whipped topping kind of kid when it came to what was on my cake.  I still don't like a lot of butter cream on my birthday cake.  But, this month I have fallen in love with the butter cream from the Wilton website.  Now, I have taken every possible Wilton course I can at my local craft stores and in class we always used "class butter cream"  it tasted a bit greasy but I just thought that's what homemade butter cream tasted like.  But this frosting tastes the way butter cream should.  It wasn't too sweet and had the right amount of butter taste.  And I made LOADS of it.

Why all this butter cream you ask?  Well, as stated in my earlier post I'm way better with gum paste and fondant then I am with butter cream.  I was asked to make my husband's Grandmother's 81st birthday cake.  I started out by making over 120 royal icing apple blossoms and then I changed my mind and thought about making some gum paste roses.  As pretty as the decorations are from the fondant and the gum paste I got the impression that the family wanted butter cream.  All that butter cream was for practice.  I made rose after rose after rose.


With every cake that I make, I get better and better.  I look at this picture and I can see where I need to improve.  But it is a HUGE improvement over my first cakes.  And so, I will keep practicing and I will keep making cakes and I will keep getting better and better :-)

P.S.  My husband's Grandmother loved her cake.  The family thought I did a great job as well.  In fact, we brought the cake to the restaurant and the table next to us thought my cake was so nice they asked for a piece.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I LOVE buttercream!!

    The cake looks great! Good job!

    ReplyDelete