Saturday, May 5, 2012

With A Recipe In One Hand And Baking "Powers" In The Other



I'm stalking my oven.  I'm staked out in my kitchen with my laptop open in front of me and a tall, ice cold glass of milk off to my side.  I'm waiting.  Waiting for the timer on the microwave to count down to zero. Waiting for the banana bread in the oven to finish baking.  The whole house smells wonderful.  Banana bread is one of those foods that has comfort food written all over it.  Served with a tall glass of milk, I'm sure it could aid in the solution of some small world problems ;-)

While we wait for the banana bread I have a cute story for you...

This isn't my recipe.  It's my Grandmother's.  I asked my Mom to email me a copy the other day because I thought it would be faster then trying to go through my different files looking for my copy.  As I'm looking through the recipe, making sure I have what I need, I come across this: "3 tsp. baking "powers".  I called my Mom at work to ask what aisle at the grocery store one might find baking powers on.  She laughed and called me a smart ass. 

This is the only recipe we use for banana bread.  Now it means even more to me because we have this great story to look back on and chuckle over.

Beep beep beep...banana bread is done! (scroll down for the recipe)


It is SO good!

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed or pureed ripe bananas (about 3)
2 cups all purpose flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time.  Add bananas to creamed mixture.  Sift dry ingredients and stir into creamed mixture gradually.  Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan.  Bake for approx. 60-70 minutes (depending on the size of your loaf pan).

Now go use your baking "powers" for good not evil ;-)


1 comment:

  1. PIN THIS! You will have a bajillion Million followers! That looks so good my mouth is watering!!!

    ReplyDelete